Cover Artist Submissions
Are you a book cover artist, or do you think you have what it takes? Local Hero Press will be contracting with cover artists for future work. The bulk of our projects are superhero-oriented, but we will be releasing works in other speculative and mainstream genres eventually.
What we want:
- Eye-catching design. Send us something outstanding!
- Creativity. If your work looks like every 1990s comic book cover, we’re not interested. We want to see your work, not your hero’s.
- Knowledge of subject material, including superheroes, various subgenres of science fiction and fantasy.
- Ability to meet deadlines. This includes submitting concept sketches, design sketches, uncolored and colored work.
- Willingness to work with an editor during every stage of the cover design process.
What we don’t want:
- Erotica (Local Hero Press does not publish any erotica; any submissions containing nudity and/or explicit sexual art will be promptly deleted)
- Bad Photoshopping. Come on, you know what we mean.
- Any submissions of artwork which does not belong to you. We can’t stress that enough! If you send us something that you did not create yourself, you are liable to be sued by the creator of that work. This includes using non-Creative-Commons-approved pictures from online sources.
- Prima donnas. If you’re hard to work with, we’re not going to work with you.
- People who can’t follow the directions below: ↓
What you should do:
- Send us a sample of your best work in .jpg, .png, or .pdf format. Do not send more than two pictures, and the total size of your attachments must be less than 5 MB! Use a subject line of “Cover Art” in your email. Include in the body of your email your contact information, a link to your online portfolio in case we want to check it out, and a quote for your rate to do a book cover. You are quoting for a full-color illustration in any format that can be used for a 5″ x 8″ print book and ebook front cover at a minimum resolution of 300 DPI. This is not a firm amount, but it will give us an idea what our investment will be, and we don’t expect your final rate to be significantly higher or lower than your quote, so be honest with what you’re worth. If we like what we see in your submission, we will contact you with further details. Send your submission to ian AT localheropress DOT com.
Rights and Privacy Notice:
Any sample work you submit to Local Hero Press remains your property. Local Hero Press will not make your submissions available to the public without your express, written permission; they are purely for our own records. Likewise, Local Hero Press will not distribute, publish, sell, or otherwise release your contact information to any third party.